Sunday, October 03, 2004

Native American Prayer


O Great Spirit
whose voice
I hear in the winds,
and whose breath
gives life to the world,
hear me.

I come to you
as one of many children
I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.

May I walk in beauty.
Make my eyes ever behold
the red and purple sunset.

May my hands respect
the things that you have made,
and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so that
I may know the things that
you have taught your children,
the lesson that you have hidden
in every leaf and rock.

Make me strong, so that
I may suprior to other people,
but be able to fight my greatest enemy,
which is myself.

Make me ever
ready to come to you
with straight eyes so that,
when life fades as the fading sunset,
my spirit may come to you
without shame.

8 comments:

Meera said...

Beautiful!

Fayrouz said...

Thank you. I love this prayer too.

My husband's grandmother was a native American. So, I'm always interested in their culture. They have lots of things we can learn from.

John Michael Keba said...

Yes, thank you for posting this. There's a longer version, if you're interested, though I really like this one. It's at: http://jmkeba.home.att.net/

Meera said...

Fayrouz,

I hope you share interesting things about Native American culture that you come across...

Fayrouz said...

First, happy St. Francis day. It was yesterday.

Ambrosius,

Thank you so much for the link and for stopping by my blog.

Meera,

I'll try to bring more from the Native Americans rich culture.

John Michael Keba said...

Hello Fayrouz,

My name is John, by the way (don't even ask about my nom de plume, lol). Meera has your blog linked on hers, and once I meandered onto yours I was hooked. I was raised Byzantine Catholic, and educated by Roman Franciscans, so you can imagine why. Thank you again for your efforts here.

John Michael Keba said...

Hi Fayrouz,

I thought I had posted this earlier, so if it shows up twice I'm sorry. I like your blogs alot, and I am grateful to have found them from Meera's blog. I hope you liked the longer version. BTW, my name is John (the origin of my nom de plume shall remain mysterious)

Fayrouz said...

John,

Thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad you like this blog. I'll post more often since I have more fans :-)