Monday, January 31, 2005

Sharing Produce and Profit

Two brothers worked at a family farm, sharing produce and profit. One was married, and the other wasn't.

One day the single brother said to himself:
It's not fair that we should share the same produce equally. I am alone, but my brother has a family to support.

So at that night he took a sack of grain from his bin, crept over the field between the houses, and drummed it into his brother's bin.

Meanwhile, his brother has a similar idea, and said:
It's not right that we should share the produce equally. I have a family whereas my brother is all alone.

So at night he took a sack of grain from his bin, and quietly dumped it into his brother's bin.

This went on for several years. Each was puzzled how his supply never dwindled. One night they bumped into each other in the dark. When they realized what had been happening, they dropped their sacks and embraced each other.

Suddenly a voice from heaven said:
Here I build my temple.
For where people meet in love,
there my presence shall dwell.

-- Author unknown
 

No comments: